History of the NAAA
Frequently Asked Questions
E-mail us at:
Graduate Student Researchers Program (GSRP) Proposal Hints
The following suggestions are based on my experience assisting with the
Graduate Student Researchers Program (GSRP) selection process once at the
Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) and then applying for a GSRP at GSFC, the Johnson Space Center (JSC), and NASA/Headquarters (NASA/HQ). The process may vary from year to year and
from Center to Center and the suggestions below will not guarantee you a
GSRP award, they will only increase your chances of getting one. The
key to winning is having a good proposal! If you have any questions while
you are preparing your proposal, feel free to contact me at
What is the GSRP and who is eligible?
How much is the fellowship award and what can it be used for?
What are some of the advantages of getting a GSRP over other graduate grants?
- It can open doors for you at NASA (both during your studies and after graduation).
- It gives you more freedom to direct your research efforts.
- If you finish early, another student at your university can receive the remaining funds.
How does the proposal and selection process work?
What is the review and selection panel looking for?
- Proposal technical merit and innovation
- NASA relevance and interest
- Proposed interaction with the NASA facility and utilization of its research
- Quality of the proposed research or plan of study
- Student qualifications and ability to accomplish the defined research
- University and advisor qualifications
Each of the above areas receive a different weight, but approximately half of
the score is the proposal technical merit and innovation. The remaining half
is for NASA relevance and interest and Center interaction, and student,
university, and advisor qualifications.
How do I write a good proposal?
- Plan of Study
- Research Objectives
- Key Elements
5. Having good letters of recommendation.
What is the difference between a good letter of recommendation and a bad
Where can I find additional information on the GSRP?
Dryden Flight Research Center
Glenn Research Center
Goddard Space Flight Center
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Johnson Space Center
Kennedy Space Center
Langley Research Center
Marshall Space Flight Center
Stennis Space Center
Office of Biological and Physical Research
Office of Earth Science
Office of Space Science
Which NASA Academy Alumni have been awarded GSRPs?